Montessori How-To: Peace Corner & Calming Jar
Have you often thought about starting a peace corner in your home?
We have created this simple straightforward guide to help you get started and even included the step-by-step instructions for you to make your own calming jar at home with your kiddos!
What is the purpose of a peace corner?
The purpose of a peace corner is to create an inviting place for a child to find peace. Whether in a classroom or at home, a peace corner should be exemplified as a safe haven where children can communicate to solve their conflicts through respect and patience, often with the use of the peace rose. The atmosphere should be calming and consist of activities that help to create a sense of peace within the child.
So, where do I start?
Start by choosing 3-5 items from our suggested list below. Rotate them to fit the needs of your child as well as their age. Some items may be more suitable for older or younger children. Make sure to explain the proper use of the items to the child prior to implementing them in your peace corner. Teach your child how to use and respect the materials as well as the space. (Items marked with a * are highly recommended.)
- A calming jar – see step-by-step guide below
- A table or shelf*
- A comfortable chair or floor pillows*
- A rug to define space*
- A peace rose or rock
- Magnetic poetry
- Buddha Board
- Books on Peace
- A fish tank or a small bowl with a goldfish
- A plant
- Pictures that bring peace and/or a small family photo
- A small waterfall
- A miniature Zen garden
We wanted to keep it simple for you and in doing so we hope you find the perfect fit for you home and child.
How to Make Your Own Calming Jar
If you have a child who gets upset and needs a cool down period, this is a great sensory tool. The child is able to shake the jar and watch the glitter fall to the bottom until they are calm again.
(Please make sure to give a lesson on proper use or you may end up with a broken jar and a house full of glitter.)
3-Minute Calming Jar
What You’ll Need
- 1 Half-pint glass Mason jar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup hot water plus more to fill the jar
- 1 tsp glitter
- 3-4 drops dish soap
- Food coloring, optional
- Combine (colored) water and corn syrup in a bowl with a whisk.
- Pour into the jar and add the glitter.
- Add 3-4 drops of dish soap.
- Fill the jar with water to the very top. Seal very tightly.
- Shake well. (It should take approximately 3 minutes for the glitter to settle.)